Healthcare Certifications- Amazon Career Choice
Course Title: Patient Care Technician (NUR-8016)
- January 19, 2021, to June 2, 2021, (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) from 5:30 pm – 10:00 pm
- All class sessions and exams are mandatory, there are no makeup dates. All class sessions are approved by Amazon CareerChoice.
Location: Classes will be held at the HCC Southshore Campus located at 551 24th St NE, Ruskin, FL 33570.
Registration Fee: $3095.00 (only $154.75 (5%) is paid by associate). Includes all materials and the Patient Care Tech Certification practice package with the exam, and optional Phlebotomy and EKG national certification exams and practice materials. Completers will also be able to challenge the optional state CNA licensing exam (additional fees apply). (95% covered by Amazon Career Choice) Vouchers submitted here)
Course technology requirements: Desktop computer, laptop computer, Chromebook or tablet with internet connection and Chrome browser. Though a mobile phone may work, it may make doing online work more challenging.
Who should attend? Anyone over the age of 18 with high school diploma or GED.
Course Description: The Patient Care Technician course teaches the technical skills necessary to service complex patient personal care issues including rehabilitation services, basic bedside care, collection of laboratory specimens, Phlebotomy and EKG’s primarily geared for both the inpatient and outpatient setting. The Patient Care Technician works alongside doctors, nurses and other healthcare providers to oversee and monitor patients. Many hospitals may require that PCTs also have a Certified Nursing Assistant license. This course meets the requirements to also take the CNA exam to meet this requirement. Visit the Florida Board of Nursing Website for information about becoming a CNA.
Upon completion of the course, you will be eligible to take the PCT, Phlebotomy and EKG technician exams through National Healthcare Association (www.nhanow.com), and apply to the Board of Nursing to become a CNA (additional fees apply). You could end up receiving a total of 4 certifications!
The following is included in your registration fee:
- Healthcare Provider CPR AED Certification valid for 2 years
- Background Check
- Drug screening
- EKG Calipers
- BP Cuff and Stethoscope
- PCT, EKG and Phlebotomy National Certification Exam with Study Package (optional CNA fees paid separately)
Please note, the registration fee does not include the additional Background Check and Exam fees required by the Board of Nursing for CNA licensure.
Background Check- A level 2 background check will be conducted through Hillsborough Community College. Students with felonies, especially those related to child or elder abuse are not allowed to participate in the clinical rotation. A failed background check will result in removal from the program with no refund. Person’s with criminal history may be able to obtain and exemption from the Agency for Health Care Administration to provide eligibility for employment in a healthcare setting. Visit AHCA for more information.
Drug Screening- Students are required to have a 10-panel drug screen. A failed drug screen will result in removal from the program with no refund.
Students must get a medical physical exam including a TB skin test and must provide proof that all immunizations are up to date including: Influenza, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Chickenpox, Hepatitis B, TDAP. If the student has a medical issue that can affect their participation in the program, they should advise HCC immediately. We do not recommend taking classes that include phlebotomy/specimen collection and if you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant due to exposure risk.
- Your High School should have your immunization records if you have graduated within the past 3 years.
- Your primary care doctor may have copies of your immunizations.
- Physicals and immunizations are free in many health insurance plans including Medicaid and may be completed with your primary care doctor.
Please Note: This course includes a mandatory of 40 clinical hours, 30 venipuncture and 10 capillary sticks. Clinicals are typically held all-day at a hospital and/or long-term nursing facility towards the end of the course. Access to transportation and a flexible schedule is needed.
Additional courses below are offered by HCC/ICCE at other campuses and may be approved by Amazon Career Choice. Visit https://www.tampatraining.com/allied-health/ for more information.
- Certified Clinical Medical Assisting (CCMA) (NUR-8008)– Includes training for CET and CPT national certifications.
- Certified Patient Care Technician (CPCT) (HES-8016)– Includes training for CET and CPT national certifications and the option to apply to the Florida Board of Nursing to become a CNA.
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (NUR-8017)- HCC is a Florida Board of Nursing approved training site.
- Certified EKG Technician (CET) (HES-8140)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT)